Friday 14 September 2018

Dawn McMillan comes to Gilberthorpe

We were lucky enough to have author, Dawn McMillan visit today for our Duffy Assembly.

She read 'Mister Spears and his Hairy Ears' to us. The idea came from Derek having really hairy ears!
Dawn McMillan

She used to be a teacher, but now she's an author. Best job in the world because she can do it in her pyjamas.

She lives in the Coromandel. 

She lives with her husband Derek and Lola her cat. Occasionally Lola walks across the keyboard. Derek brings morning tea and cups of coffee out to her studio, sits on the couch and checks what she has written. Sometimes Derek makes snoring noises when the story is boring.

When you're writing , you need to listen to the voices is your head. 

She has written 220 books for schools and about 30 for shops. She always liked the idea of writing stories. 
You can find out more about her on her site


9 comments:

  1. Hola my name is Mushdah im in room 18 at Owairaka school i really like how you sometimes put funny things in your blog if you want to see my learning its http/mushdah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Mushdah. I like to try and make the blog posts entertaining and enjoyable for our audience.

      Delete
  2. Malo My name is Apii. I am a student from Owairaka Primary school.I really like your Poster that you made. It has some of my favorite books.Your poster is cool because you put interesting words and you have some cool picture.Please check out My Blog.click here (http://odsapiisalomam.blogspot.com) Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Apii. Thanks for your comment. Some of my favourite (and most funny) picture books have been written by this author. She is just as funny in person!

      Delete
  3. Hola, my name is Sundus and I am a student in room 18 at Owairaka primary school. you guys maybe having fun with the book an author came to our school last week and she made a book called tui street tales her
    name is anne kayes follow me in http/sundus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Sundus. Thanks for your comment. It's very exciting getting authors come to visit! Is your school a Duffy School too? We really enjoy getting the free books as well!

      Delete
  4. Hi there my name is Daniel and I am in room 18 and I go to Owairaka District school . I really wish I was there to meet Dawn Mcmillan . I really want to read one of her books . If you would like to look at my blog please write this down odsdanielm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Daniel. Thanks for your comment. I'm sure your school will have some of her books in the library. You should check them out, they're hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola my name is Mushdah I am in Room 18 at Owairka district school I like Dawn Mcmillan her books are funny and cool if you would like to see my learning its http/mushdah.blogspot.com.nz

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.